In 1925, Samuel Graham of Unionville called Dr. Ralph Cox of Collinsville and discussed the idea of developing a golf course in the local area.  The Stillwell Farm in Avon, consisting of 60 acres, was purchased by Mr. Graham with the intent of developing the farm into a golf course.

After canvassing a number of residents in Avon, Canton, Farmington, Simsbury and Unionville, it was apparent that there was considerable interest in membership of a golf club.  More acreage was available and purchased.

A nine hole golf course was laid out and a golf professional, Mr. Charles Henderson, was hired.  The group of appointed officers sold bonds to raise monies for the construction of a clubhouse.  The project was started in 1927.  Good springs were found on the grounds for the water supply.  Lumber for the clubhouse was cut from near-by woods.  The clubhouse was finished in 1928 and the Golf Club of Avon was incorporated at that time for approximately $90,000.  Mr. Henderson resigned as golf professional and Mr. George Seibert became the new professional.  The original course was changed in 1963 so that the first nine holes ended at the clubhouse.  The third nine holes was opened for play in 1967 and gave the club considerable versatility with the twenty-seven holes played as three separate eighteen hole courses.

In 1931, women's play was organized and weekly tournament prizes were awarded.  The women also contributed $25 to the men's organization to help care for the greens.

The second World War interrupted everyone's normal living, including the members at the Avon Country Club with ensuing hard times for the Club.  The City Club of Hartford, having decided that the Avon Country Club would be an asset, purchased the Club in March, 1945.  The Avon Country Club then became the Golf Club of Avon and a part of the two-way combination with the City Club of Hartford.  The City Club of Hartford was originally incorporated on July  24, 1913 and in 1924, the City Club moved into a building which had been constructed for the Club's use at 10 Allyn Street.  The Club remained in those quarters until 1970.  The City Club of Hartford then moved to 250 Constitution Plaza.

In 1961, renovations were made to the original clubhouse.  In 1972, recreational facilities were enlarged through the construction of four all-weather tennis courts adjacent to the Club's parking area.

Since 1980, when the existing Golf Shop was built, there have been ongoing renovations and additions at the Golf Club of Avon.  Upgrades and additions were made to the tennis courts as the tennis membership grew over the years.  Additionally, adjacent to the tennis courts are the paddle courts, which were expanded to include heating to accommodate growing paddle membership year round.

As the membership has changed over the years, so too have the offerings of the club.  The pool, with a growing family membership, offers a snack bar and zero entry, as well as swimming and diving teams for children of all ages.  The entire pool facility had an overhaul in 2008, with new locker rooms and a snack bar renovation, as well as a variety of seating options on the enlarged surrounding deck area.  

Along with the tennis courts and the pool, the golf course and practice facilities reflect a growing family membership.  The golf course itself has seen some major changes over the years.  The continuing comprehensive hole by hole changes, many completed as recently as the 2008-2009 season have kept the integrity of the original design while making it a course where all levels of golfers and their families can enjoy. In 2004 the practice facilities, including the driving range, chipping area, and putting green were enhanced and are a tremendous asset to the membership and their guests.

Like the pool, tennis, and golf facilities, the clubhouse itself serves as a great reflection of the evolution of the Golf Club of Avon.  With expanded and modernized locker rooms, the club house functions as a home base for both men and women golfers.  Since the renovations, the downstairs the clubhouse offers a variety of dining options: from the formal dining room for special events, to the family dining room for family dinners or to the pub for more casual after-golf dining or drinks with friends.  The pub patio was expanded in 2008 and continues to prove to be one of the most popular locations at the Club, where views of the golf course accompany great food.   

As the tradition of the Golf Club of Avon is maintained, it has also progressed and evolved over time.  While it continues to be known as one of the first class country clubs in the state, it also remains firmly dedicated to its membership's needs.